Translate

Monday, March 31, 2014

Marie Collins, Irish Survivors' Advocate Appointed to Pontifical Commission for the Protection of Minors

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/preventing-child-abuse-must-outweigh-fears-about-catholic-church-1.1743640

"I have been disappointed and let down often in my hopes for change in the way the Catholic Church handles the child abuse issue. At times I have despaired to the point where I wanted nothing more to do with the church. This was particularly true after my participation in the church’s failed Lynnott Committee, tasked with writing child protection guidelines in Ireland in 2003. Why then accept the appointment to the Pontifical Commission for the Protection of Minors?
I have asked myself the same question. Am I an incurable optimist or a fool? I hope I am neither. I have accepted for the same reason I decided to take up the invitation to speak at the Vatican’s Towards Healing and Renewal seminar on child abuse in Rome in 2012 – saving children from abuse is more important than any personal fear of hurt or humiliation. If there is the slightest chance that this commission can bring in change within the church that will lead to children being better protected and survivors being better treated then I cannot turn my back on it..."
Bridget Mary's Response;
I was deeply impressed by Marie Collins , who spoke at a Symposium of the Irish Press in Aug. 2010 in Castlebar, County Mayo. In her presentation,  Ms. Collins challenged the  Irish bishops and the Vatican for their callous treatment of sexual abuse survivors and their families. So, in my view, this was a wise choice by the Vatican. Bridget Mary Meehan, ARCWP, www.arcwp.org

No comments: