Translate

Thursday, April 17, 2014

"Female Priests in the Catholic Church" by Jennifer Lee on April 15, 2014/Interview with Diane Dougherty, ARCWP

http://www.the-broad-side.com/female-priests-in-the-catholic-church-jennifer-lee

Diane Dougherty
"Since Easter is upon us I thought I would talk with a priest about the roots of the springtime religious holiday of Easter.
I grew up in a Catholic family and always wanted to discuss the roots of Easter with a priest. I found one who was willing to talk to me. Her name is Diane Dougherty. We went beyond the roots of Easter and discussed the role of women in the Catholic church.
JL: Where are you a priest?
DD: I am a priest serving in an LGBTQ church, First Metropolitan Community. I am helping them give form to their children’s ministry and work with members on various actions such as gaining access to same sex marriage throughout Georgia legislature. I also have home masses and advocate for women’s ordination wherever I am called.
JL: How did you become a priest?
DD: I have an equivalency of a Masters of Divinity and 37 years of working in a multitude of ministries within parishes and dioceses, which is a requirement for ordination. I completed mentoring and seminary training program provided by the Association of Roman Catholic Women Priests. I was ordained a deacon by Bishop Bridget Mary Meehan in Sarasota, Florida in February, 2011, and a priest in Atlanta at First Metropolitan Church on October 20, 2012.
JL: Were there ever women priests?
DD: For the first 1200 years [of the existence of the Catholic Church] women were serving as priests, bishops, deacons and in many areas of the church. If you go to the Cathedral of St. Augustine in Hippo, which is now the Cathedral of Annaba, there is a mosaic that says, “Here lies Guilia Runa priest…” This meant she was on staff as a priest in the 5th Century AD...."

Jennifer Lee is a filmmaker who lives in Los Angeles. She has spent many years working on Hollywood films and used her free time (when she had it!) making her own films. Her latest film, “Feminist: Stories from Women’s Liberation” is being screened in numerous public libraries across the nation during Women’s History Month. Jennifer was recently named Global Ambassador for the Global Media Monitoring Project.

No comments: